Must-visit pagodas and temples in Myanmar
Tourist spots in Bagan, Myanmar are mainly pagodas and temples. Each ones has its own beauty. There are even places that only favorable for watching the sunset and sunrise or balloons. The list below includes popular destinations for tourists that you should not miss in your journey of exploration.
Mingalar Zedi pagoda
During the reign of King Narathihapate, in 1274, the construction of Mingalar Zedi pagoda started and was consecrated in March of 1268. The 131 ft-high pagoda is known to be the last pagoda of this size to be built in Bagan. Mingalar Zedi pagoda was built in brick and contains several terraces leading to large pot-shaped stupa at its centre, topped by a bejeweled umbrella.
Built in 1183 by King Narapatisithu, the Buddhist temple is located in the village of Minnanthu (southwest of Bagan) in Burma. The temple was restored after 1975 earthquake and rebuilt in 1994. The construction used bricks and stones with frescoes in the interior. Now, it is the most-frequently visited temple in the region
Built in late 12th century by King Narathu (1167-1170), the monument is located about a kilometer to the southeast of the city walls directing Minnanthu. It shares the similar architectural plan to Ananda Temple. The pyramid like structure is the largest monument on the plains of Bagan extending approximately 255 feet on each of its four sides.
Ananda Temple is one of four surviving ones in Bargan. It was built in 1105 AD during the reign (1084–1113) of King Kyanzittha of the Pagan Dynast. The temple shelters four standing Buddhas, each one facing the cardinal direction of East, North, West and South. It is known to be an architectural wonder in a fusion of Mon and adopted Indian style of architecture. Ananda Temple is also called “veritable museum of stones.” Damaged in the earthquake of 1975 but it was restored later and well maintained until now.
Shwegugyi is literally means "Great Golden Cave.” The Buddhist temple is known for its arched windows, and its history, which is inscribed in two stone slabs in Pali. Completed AD 1131, it was constructed in the period of King Alaung Sithu (r. 1112-1166). Shwegugyi temple is a lesser but elegant one. It stands on a high brick platform and was also known as Nan Oo Paya or the Temple at the Head of the Palace.